Sunday, March 15, 2015

Conversation About Being A Music Student

In these two excerpts, I talk to Megan Glova about how schools receive their music programs and what it’s like to be a part of the music programs. I talk about how other kids view music students, and where they fall on the social ladder. We also talk about the stereotypes that are associated with music students and art students, and how some of them are true and how sometimes they are false. Lastly, we discuss what it’s actually like to be a part of the program and the memories I have in the program and with the friends I made.

Excerpt 1:

Megan: Do you think people who are in music groups and people who identify with music are significantly different than people in other groups?

Me (Alyssa): Uhm, I guess it depends where you are, when I was at my school, I definitely would be considered kind of in the nerdier part., because I wasn’t like a band nerd and I wasn’t like not a band nerd. I was somewhere in the middle, people weren’t like, “Oh yeah, chorus! Like go chorus!” but they weren’t like completely mean about it, I mean they were mean about some stuff, but there was definitely like the cliques that would go along with it.

Megan: How do you feel about the stereotypes such as “art freaks”, that people in music, in the chorus, in art, in band, and in theater and everything have?

Me (Alyssa): I mean, it definitely could apply to there. I could definitely tell you that there were some WEIRD kids in my chorus class, weird kids in the music program. But like, I don’t know, I didn’t feel like I was really that weird, like I like to be like funny, have fun with my friends and stuff, but I never felt like I was super weird. Although I know that lots of people thought I was weird, because I associated with the chorus people and the band people, and I was all friends with them, and we were all kind of high-strung and hyper at school and stuff.

Excerpt 2:

Megan: Do you have any fond musical memories, like chorus-wise or otherwise?

Me (Alyssa): Oh definitely. When I first came into chorus, I was quiet and really overwhelmed, because all these people knew each other because I was new to this environment, and as as sophomore I was still testing out the waters, like trying to find where I fit in the group. But as I became a junior and a senior in high school and in chorus, I became like, more of a “main member “, and it became more fun because it seemed like everybody just flocked to me, and I don’t know, I just felt like a part of the group, a big part of the group. I was the funny one in the class, the class clown, and we always had so many fun times. Like when we would dress up for concerts, our dresses were just awfully ugly, and we would make fun of them, like we would’ve gotten them sophomore year, and we would be wearing them senior year, and we be sucking everything in. We would be like, “We are not this small anymore!” And, I don’t know, I hung with a lot of chorus people my senior year, and we always had so much fun together, whatever we were doing, because we were just weird, and we all understood how weird we were.

No comments:

Post a Comment